The English department of Taif University in Khurma was founded in the academic year 1429 as one of the departments of the Community College in Khurma. The department offered a two-year diploma in English for both male and female students. The programme was ceased by the end of the academic year 1433-1434. At the beginning of the academic year 1435, the department launched a four-year BA in English to both male and female students and ever since, the numbers of our students have been on the increase. We pride ourselves in providing the Saudi employment market with a number of qualified English BA holders and we are planning to do more within the Kingdom’s guidelines of 2030 vision.
The mission of the English department is part of the university's mission vis-à-vis the Saudi society by implementing the Kingdom's higher education policies. Although the department is only a couple of years old, it strives to cater for the needs of the local community in particular and the Saudi job market in general by graduating qualified and well-trained English students to participate in the development of the kingdom.
The English department seeks to improve its students' listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in the English language focusing on both the inputs and outputs of the educational process using state-of-the art instructional technology in the field of teaching English as a foreign language (EFL).
The BA Programme the English department of the College of Education and Science in Khurma offers is meant to achieve the following:
1. Improve students' basic skills in the English language.
2. Develop students' micro and macro skills in the English language, thus enabling them to use the language in different real-life situations.
3. Equip students with the necessary linguistic skills to enter the local job market.
4. Prepare students to participate in spreading the Arabic-Islamic culture to the outside world via the English language.
5. Prepare students to communicate with the English-speaking countries, thus bringing foreign experience and expertise to the kingdom.
6. Enable students to deal with the new technologies that require knowledge of the English language.
7. Encourage and motivate the department's graduates to pursue post-graduate studies in the different specializations of the English language.