Bachelor of dental medicine & surgery program
The duration of study is six academic years distributed into 12 levels (12 semesters). The graduation at the end of the 6th year is followed by one year of internship. The academic program delivers basic, preclinical and clinical courses so as to impart to its graduates the knowledge, skills and competencies that are required to practice General Dentistry with its curative, restorative, and preventive aspects. Graduates are given a Bachelor's degree in Dental Medicine and Surgery.
To graduate professionals able to deliver quality oral health care
To graduate professionals committed to life-long learning
To graduate students with sufficient research aptitude in the fields of patient care and scientific discovery, and able to innovate in their field
To graduate professionals engaged in community service through voluntary work and community studies
To graduate professionals committed to the values of professional and Islamic ethics
Program Graduate Attributes
Professionalism: Adopt and employ professional values, attitudes and standards
Effective Communication: Communicate effectively with colleagues and community
Collaboration and Team Spirit: Effectively provide ethical and quality patient care in a team-based practice
Flexibility and Adaptation: Participate and manage in community health programs, entrepreneurship and volunteering projects with flexibility and adaptation to the demands and needs
Life Long Learner and Innovation: Utilize information technologies for continuous education, prevention and management of oral health problems through innovational and critical thinking initiate improvements plan
Program Graduation Requirements
Pass all courses in the program
Fulfil an overall GPA of at least 1.5
Complete the internship year
Academic Plan: Program Learning Outcomes
- Describe the integrated learning of basic and biomedical sciences.
- Describe the concepts of behavioral and clinical sciences
- Recognize evidence-based dentistry and problem solving principles for the provision of standard oral health care.
- Recognize the fundamental elements of dental practice management
Skill Domain (S)
- Interpret obtained patient information and diagnostic measures to effectively manage patient concern.
- Apply the principles of Islamic ethics and moral values in dental education and patient care.
- Evaluate the outcomes of treatment, recall strategies, and prognosis.
- Recognize the complexity of patient treatment and need for referral.
- Perform the diagnostic, prophylactic and therapeutic dental procedures for clinical management of the patient.
- Employ standard method of infection control, patient safety and dental ergonomics.
- Deliver oral health promotion services for preventive dental care in community setting.
- Manage effectively emergency situations within the scope of general dentistry.
- Provide oral health care for all age groups considering the unique need of geriatric, special need and medically compromised patients.
- Apply critical thinking skills in dental education, research and patient care.
- Demonstrate effective oral, written and non-verbal communication skills at workplace.
Competence Domain (C)
- Demonstrate the concept of self-assessment and lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate Professionalism, effective teamwork and leadership qualities at workplace